It’s easy to come up with resolutions for the new year, but let’s face it: nobody ever sticks to them, even the most dedicated individual. Here are fifteen ways I will not try to change my life as soon as the clock hits midnight on January 1st. Because we all know that the more rules there are in life, the less fun it is!
- Lose Weight: Hmm, this one is a big one. Almost everyone has it at the top of their lists; I say scratch it completely. The goal is always to stay healthy, not look rail thin trying to fit into skinny jeans. Exercise is good, but it’s not the be-all end-all if you miss a day here and there.
- Watch Less TV: I’ll admit it, I have an unhealthy obsession with Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/The Walking Dead, but it’s all research… for when I eventually write my super awesome script and have a hit show. #agalcandream
- Eat Healthier: I am vegetarian and avoid animal products. Enough said.
- Drink More Water: And take even more trips to the bathroom? No thanks.
- See the Doctor More Often: I am a hypochondriac. Need I say more?
- Spend More Time with Family: I do enough of that already!
- Get Rid of Toxic People: Done and done a long time ago. Why wait for a new year?
- Spend Time with People That Matter: I am perfectly happy staying at home reading a book cozied up to my dog.
- Finish That Novel: It will get done when the time is right. Meanwhile, I’d rather travel the world and share my experiences. Who knows, maybe all that globetrotting will help me write that popular book someday. #wishfulthinking
- Drink Less: Are you kidding me? I understand if you’re a raging alcoholic, but living and working in New York City AND having two jobs means one thing: you need that drink or two when you get home from a particularly stressful day.
- Stop Being Late: I’m Indian and take pride in following Indian Standard Time (IST).
- Spend Less Time on Social Media: Sorry, not going to happen. I like keeping in touch with people virtually. The key word being virtually.
- Meditate: I hike, I drink — no, not together — but they both calm me down.
- Stay Away From Sweets/Sugar/Starch/Silliness: And live a boring life? Mommy likes her chocolate (That’s dog mommy, let’s be clear).
- Travel to New Places: I’m a travel writer, so it comes with the job. But then again, we can never travel enough… there’s an infinite number of places to explore on this beautiful planet.
What clichés will you avoid in 2016?